North York Area
The dream of the YU North York team is to see the youth we serve experience God and His love as they create communities of hope throughout North York. We see hope in individuals and communities characterized by wholeness, mentorship, service and opportunity.
We work towards accomplishing this dream through a variety of programs that are each unique to the geographic area and youth demographic they serve.
Our North York Area Programs
In the Jane-Finch community
- Hoop 2 Hope Basketball – guiding boys on the journey to manhood through the sport of basketball;
- Jane-Finch Soccer – a weekly soccer program teaching soccer and life skills, as well as providing spiritual mentoring;
- Blueprints – a youth entrepreneurship training program that helps young people develop and launch their own micro business;
- Sketch & Believe – a weekly girls’ arts program that helps girls discover their creative voice through artistic projects and intentional group discussion;
- Jane-Finch Community Development – an initiative focusing on developing resident leaders from within the community to affect positive transformation in their neighbourhood;
- Seeds of Hope Summer Day Camp – a seven-week summer day camp for youth ages 6-13 that focuses on academic learning, spiritual teaching, sports, and arts. Campers get to experience day trips throughout the city and an overnight camp in Muskoka;
- Straight Talk – a weekly discussion group for young people to work through issues they are grappling with in their lives and community.
In the Downsview community:
- Afterschool Program – a weekly program in partnership with Downsview Baptist Church that provides a safe space for young people to play games and sports, be mentored, eat healthy food and explore faith.
In the Willowdale community:
- Revolution(s) – a multi-faceted program using the sport of BMX to develop a community of young leaders through mentorship. This program has an “Earn-A-Bike” program that teaches marketable bike skills and also partners with the City of Toronto to maintain a public dirt bike skills park.
In the Flemingdon community:
- Roots – a Saturday program that provides a safe space for young people to play sports and games, engage in mentoring, eat healthy snacks and explore spiritual teachings.
North York Area Team Members
Mike FVolunteer Leader, Flemingdon Park
Stephanie IronsideAdmin. Assistant
Jesse JamesWillowdale Youth Outreach Worker
Karen Robinson JosephNorth York Team & Community Pastor
Clem LeeWillowdale Youth Outreach Worker
Vanessa MitchellJane-Finch Community Youth Outreach Worker
Benjamin OseiJane-Finch Community Outreach Worker
Fadi SharaihaBluePrints Leader
Stewart Vander VeldenJane-Finch Community Development Coordinator
Scott VealsDownsview Youth Outreach Worker
North York Contact Information:
45 Four Winds Drive, Unit Q1 Toronto, ON M3J 1K7 (In the inner courtyard of University City Plaza) 416.901.1625
Our Website: http://yunorthyork.com